Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mad Men theme birthday party- short notice and quick!

This party was for my mother Beverly.  I chose to surprise her with a little Mad Men themed dinner.  Let me start by saying it was very short notice and put together in a few days.  The dollar tree is my best friend and I recommend going there before any other craft store.   My skyscrapers were made of black poster board and I glued white foam paper to them.  Martini glasses were placed around the area filled with red ice cubes or as candle holders ( red candles).  My color scheme is obviously the opening theme colors to the show: red, black and white.  I made the Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce sign as a fun touch out of foam paper also.  The bar backdrop was a photo I found online and bought poster board to draw it and make it life size.  I made sure the serving liqour glasses fit my theme as well and bought, for very cheap , at the dollar store, lots of plastic wine glasses and tumblers to substitute the expensive glass ones.  I could not find plates to match my theme colors so i bought a set of each color plate and cut them out and combined them to make one plate. The cupcakes were my favorite since the mad men were such chain smokers. I made chocolate cupcakes with white icing and crumbled oreos on top to look like ashes and rolled up fake cigarettes to make it look like the cigarette had been put out in the cupcake!
















2 comments:

  1. love this.....were your ice cubes really ice cubes or did you use something else....great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see the grand arrangements of birthday celebration. My sister is planning to book one of the exotic LA venues for her painting exhibition. Looking for quality caterers and decorators. Want to have maximum sale of portraits. Hoping for a positive response from all her clients and customers.

    ReplyDelete